Compliance Portal |  Customer Portal
 888-427-5797
Free Quote, Call Today!

Medical Waste Disposal



October 23, 2020



Home » Medical Waste Disposal » Medical Waste Disposal

Medical Waste Disposal. Medical waste is typically generated as a result of treatment, immunization or care of humans or animals. Some waste can be dangerous due to containing potentially infectious agents and must be handled, stored, and destroyed in specific ways to protect people, the community, and the environment. The CDC (Center for Disease Control), WHO (the World Health Organization, and the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), all agree in indicating that the following are considered to be infectious waste; the list includes but is not limited to blood and blood products, laboratory cultures, sharps such as needles and scalpels, and any waste that is generated from patients in isolation. WHO suggests that although 75%-90% of healthcare facilities medical waste may not be infectious, the remaining 10%-25% could be dangerous by potentially spreading infectious agents to people and the environment. Proper disposal of these wastes is critical for safety concerns.

Medical waste, when improperly treated and disposed of, is potentially harmful to others and to the environment.

One of the reasons that poor medical waste disposal caught the attention of the country was due to the 1980s situation where medical waste washed up on ocean beaches. These included hypodermic needles and other waste that could contain virus and bacteria strains or other blood-borne pathogens and diseases. Decisions were made to take immediate action by the federal government, and they created methods to identify, handle, store, and dispose of medial waste.

Healthcare professionals and organizations, regulators, and waste management professionals generally agree that the first level of proper medical waste management begins with identifying the waste and then handling it properly. When the waste is identified correctly it can be segregated from other waste for the appropriate special handling and treatment.

While the original laws and guidelines were established by the federal government, these were handed off to the individual states for the creation of laws specific to their state. Many states have similar guidelines, but some states differ. Compliance of both state and federal laws is strictly monitored, and lack of compliance can result in heavy fines and fees which can be large enough to close down a business.

The goal of the laws and guidelines is to reduce the risk to others and keep a negative effect of infection from the environment. Healthcare Waste Management staff are professionals at knowing the various laws for each state that we do business in. We keep the guesswork out of proper disposal for our clients and act as advisors so that our customers are compliant. Our passion is to help you reduce waste, risk, and costs.

Contact us to talk about your facility and get a no-obligation quote.


Make The Switch

Join thousands of other practices working with HWM.
"The only company you will ever need."

Learn More        Click to Call